Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tomato Taste Test

As previously posted, we're growing three different types of tomatoes this year: Tommy Toes; Wapsipinicon Peach; and Black Russians. We planted all three varieties as seedlings on 4 October last year (according to my diary). I couldn't have been happier with how they've grown. We've been eating tomatoes since Christmas Day... and there's no stopping them at the moment.


The Wapsipinicon Peach is my favourite, no matter how hard it is to spell and pronounce. The name describes the texture of the tomato which is slightly fuzzy to touch. The taste is nice and sweet and just offers something a little different to the tomatoes I'm used to. Our yields haven't set the world alight, and the size of the tomatoes are quite small. However, they rarely survive to the kitchen, which is always a good sign.


The Black Russian seems to be every gourmet tomato lover's favourite. As the tomato ripens, the colour transitions from a green to a dark shade of red, almost resembling a plum. Our specimens have been full of juice and flavour. Personally, I haven't been all that excited by the taste, but everybody else who samples from our garden seems to be. Our yields have been somewhere between the Wapsipinicon Peach and the Tommy Toe.


We just can't stop the Tommy Toe plants from growing. This was the first of the three varieties to ripen, and continues to give us three of four tomatoes a day. If you're new to tomato growing, I'd recommend these to start with. I'd just give them plenty of room and support and let them go crazy. I can see why they work in hanging baskets. In terms of taste, they're exactly what you'd expect. Nice and sweet. A great salad tomato.



Like my presentation? I watch Masterchef.

And the verdict...

1. Wapsipinicon Peach - 4 stars. The taste is superb. The yield is average.

2. Black Russian - 3 stars. Plenty of juice and flavour. Great colour. I'm not overly sure how to use them.

3. Tommy Toe - 3.5 stars. Lives up to its reputation.

3 comments:

  1. I'm growing Tommy Toe and Rouge de Marmande this year. I found exactly what you found with the Tommy Toe - it's going absolutely crazy and covered with fruit! Definitely a great beginner's tomato if you want to be assured of a big, healthy crop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think of the taste Alexa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a decent flavour, strong but not outstanding, not a lot of sweetness or depth to it. Better than a store-bought though, I compared the two and the store-bought was definitely more sour/tart than the Tommy Toe.

    Last year I grew Yellow Pear, it had a more subtle and sweet complex flavour.

    I'm hoping the RdM pays off in flavour, I tried one at a farmer's market last year and it knocked my socks off.

    ReplyDelete