Sunday, December 13, 2009

First Across the Line

The question - Which plant would be picked first? It was two horse race - Zucchini and Capsicum. We picked the capsicum. We tasted the capsicum. Too small. Too bitter. Capsicum was out. Zucchini was the winner.

It's amazing how quick they grow. I would estimate that the last third of the zucchini appeared in 24 hours. If anything, we picked this zucchini too late. But we still felt burnt from the capsicum experience.

We're growing the Black Beauty variety from seed purchased at Diggers on the Mornington Peninsula.

Once harvested, we turned the zucchini into some fritters with some haloumi cheese and fresh mint. If anyone is interested, you can find the recipe at . The result was a little bland. I'd probably up the mint next time. All in all though, it was great way to bring in our harvest season.

From the looks of things, my zucchini plant has a touch of powdery mildew. Apparently this can be solved with some diluted full-cream milk. I don't think it's at that stage yet though, so I'll keep the milk for my muesli.

In the photo above, you can see the start of another two zucchini coming along. I might try stuffing and cooking the flower when it blooms.

A large zucchini or a very small phone?


Fritters.


No comments:

Post a Comment