Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Bean Short

I've never grown climbing beans before, in fact I've never really grown anything before. I once grew a strawberry plant on my balcony at a previous rental property. The end outcome was two strawberries, and a satisfied magpie.

So I didn't really know what to expect. I remember the story of Jack and the Beanstalk, but I thought it a touch over the top.

The word 'climbing' on the packet gave the game away though, so I made sure I hammered in a stake before i planted the seeds. That was my first mistake. Beans aren't adept at climbing on a square peg - they prefer a round one. My second was to half the size of my pegs to less than a metre. Not a great foundation for Grade A quality beans. No Jack and the Beanstalk for me. Not unless the giant was going to meet me half way.

Six weeks later and the beans are desperately searching for something. The best I've been able to do is to create a clothes line effect with string between the square stakes. It's too far in now to remove the stakes, as I don't want to disturb the roots. Oh well, I guess I'll see how it goes.





No comments:

Post a Comment